Georgetown Management System (GMS) - FAQ

Important Note: Prior to initiating any business process in GMS, HR Contacts must search for the individual to be processed in GMS by name, GU ID, social security number or any other identifier available. This will ensure no duplicate records are being created.

What is the Georgetown Management System (GMS)?

The Georgetown Management System (GMS) is a system (administered through Workday) that is used to manage and coordinate all the resources, information and functions of an organization. System capabilities include managing resources, accessing and viewing personal, job, pay, benefits, financial information, grants and faculty management.

What awards are processed through GMS?

Students on service stipends are all hired into and processed through GMS. Non-Service stipend payments are processed through the Office of Accounts Payable for United States citizens and Tax department for international students.

What does the term Seat refer to in GMS?

A seat/position is the term used to describe the employment position in GMS. Seats are housed in supervisory organizations. A seat must always be created prior to hiring a person into that seat.

What does the term Supervisory Organization refer to in GMS?

A supervisory organization is an organizational unit in which a manager supervises other positions/jobs. Supervisory organizations are arranged in a hierarchy, from Georgetown University down to each supervisor. Workday (GMS) organizes employees in supervisory organizations.

What business processes are used to hire students into GMS?

The hire employee business process is used to hire a new employee into GMS. This is for students who are being employed by Georgetown for the first time. If a student has had or has a job at the university the transfer employee business process should be used to hire the student into a new position. If the student is to remain in the current position and needs to be hired into an additional job, the Add Job process is used.

Are service stipends considered hourly or salaried positions?

Service stipends for PhD students are considered salaried positions and must always be noted as such in GMS.

If a student is housed in a different supervisory organization than the one s/he is to be hired into, how can s/he be moved into the correct supervisory organization?

The Transfer Employee Business Process is used in such cases. The HR contact for the supervisory organization the student is currently in can initiate this process. Alternatively, the Graduate School will be able to "pull" the student into the new supervisory org in most instances.

IMPORTANT: All transfer requests must be sent to Transfer requests must include:

  • The student's name.
  • The student's GU ID/GMS Employee ID.
  • The effective date of transfer.
  • The Supervisory Organization the student will be transferred into.
  • The Manager of the Supervisory Organization.

How can completion of a business process be verified?

You can run a report called Business Process Transactions of Type Awaiting Action. You will then be able to search for business processes by the type of the request. The status of each request type is listed on this report.

What materials should be provided to the Graduate School for approval of requests?

The GSAS Student Employment Reviewers cannot process any requests without the Financial Aid Budget. Please be sure you have provided this to the GSAS for processing of any business processes in GMS. Additionally, for new hires, I-9 forms along with supporting documentation must be provided by the student to the Office of Human Resources, located in the basement of Healy Hall.

How are I-9s processed?

For main campus, graduate students must bring the forms to one of the Georgetown University's Human Resources I-9 specialists. Click here for locations of the I-9 specialists. All students who have not already done so must meet with Human Resources on or before their first day of work to complete the I-9. Students must bring documentation showing proof of identity and work eligibility with them.

When do I need a new I-9 for students who have previously been employed?

Students who have worked in the previous 12 months as a graduate teaching or research assistant do not have to complete a new I-9 form except in the case where documents which were provided to evidence the person’s temporary work permission have expired.

May a student manage his/her own account in GMS?

Yes, a student may manage his/her federal tax elections, view payslips and more in the system. All of this can be done by clicking on the All About Me option. We recommend program administrators encourage students to view their accounts on a biweekly basis. Viewable and printable payslips can be found in the students’ account. This is a way to ensure they are being paid correctly. Students must complete state tax elections by paper and submit directly to Payroll.

Where can I find training materials for the new time tracking functionality?

Please see the GMS Hands-On Time Tracking Training, the Time Tracking Employee Quick Reference Guide and the Time Tracking Managers and Timekeepers Quick Reference Guide for more information on the new time tracking functionality.

May I now submit timesheets through GMS for payment of stipend recipients' secondary hourly positions?

The new functionality does not allow for timesheets to be submitted through GMS for payment of stipend recipients' secondary hourly position. Please continue to submit GPF Exception One Time Payment requests to the Graduate School of Arts & Sciences for review along with supporting documentation.



The Graduate School of Arts & Sciences

Car Barn, Suite 400 (Box 571005)

3520 Prospect Street, N.W., Washington, DC 20057-1005

Telephone: (202) 687-5974 Email: Website: