Accounts & Passwords
REQUESTING A NEW BANNER / COGNOS / or SLATE Account (for Student Admissions use) and LOGIN FAQS
1. To request accounts for Student Admissions use, we are required to submit separate forms:
For BANNER Download either the:
- Banner User Account Request Form (.DOC Fillable Word version)
- Banner User Account Request Form (.PDF version)
For COGNOS Download either the:
- Cognos User Account Request Form (.DOC Fillable Word version)
- Cognos User Account Request Form (.PDF version)
FOR THE SLATE SYSTEM Download the:
- SLATE Account Request Form (.PDF version)
Note: If you are part of the Biomedical Graduate Education (BGE) Group, you ALSO NEED to have the Director for Biomedical Graduate Education (Elizabeth Song) approve your form(s) , along with your supervisor. If you are unsure of what is needed, contact your BGE staff.
2. Open and complete the form(s), read the data security policies on the University Information Security Office web page and the Confidentialty Agreement on form itself. Sign the form, and then have your supervisor or department chair/program director review and sign the form. (The Director of BGE Admissions must sign for BGE-affiliated programs).
3. After the form is completed and signed, scan and email it to Rick Pike at the Graduate School at: email@example.com (Subject: Banner/COGNOS/Slate) or send to/drop off at the Graduate School in Car Barn, Suite 400 (Attn: Rick Pike - BANNER) for processing. Note: SLATE forms only can be scanned and sent directly to firstname.lastname@example.org
4. Graduate School staff will review, approve, and submit the form for final approval by the Student Admissions Data Steward (Rick Pike / Jennifer Hunt).
5. Once approved by the Admissions Data Steward, the form is sent to the Registrar's Office for final approvals and then to UIS for creation of the account(s).
6. New account users will be contacted (e-mailed or called) shortly after submission to UIS (usually within 2-3 working days) with notification that their account is active, with information on how to login with a temporary password and how to change it to a permanent password.
7. Remember that Banner and Cognos must always be used with the Cisco VPN connected and logged in.
8. Please note that requests for access to MyAccess and/or BlackBoard are sent directly to the Registrar's Office for processing, not the Graduate School. For access to MyAccess, download the MyAccess (SSB) Account Request Form and follow the instructions. The completed MyAccess (SSB) form is sent to the University Registrar for processing (not the Graduate School). Scan and send to email@example.com
IMPORTANT NOTE: If you are requesting a Banner or Cognos User Account for general academic administration purposes (registration, advising, financial aid, etc., and not Graduate Admissions-related) you should download the appropriate forms from the Registrar's Student System Information page (near the bottom) (click on Banner, Cognos, or MyAccess), complete the forms, and send them directly to the Registrar's Office at firstname.lastname@example.org (for review, authorization, and approval). The Graduate School DOES NOT review or approve general academic accounts for Banner, Cognos, or MyAccess.
If your role involves processing graduate admissions for your program, we would advise you to start the process with Graduate Admissions FIRST to get your Student Admissions-specific Banner, Cognos, SLATE account, then, after you have activated it and are in the system, send the request to the Registrar's office (using their forms above) to request access to the other sections of Banner (Registration, Financials, Accounts, etc.).
CAN'T LOG INTO BANNER / COGNOS?
Questions to ask YOURSELF:
When did you last log into Banner Admissions / COGNOS?
- Your account could be inactive. Contact the UIS Service Desk (email@example.com or (202) 687-4949) for verification of your account.
How do I start Banner or COGNOS?
- Be sure to log into the Cisco Anyconnect VPN prior to opening Banner or COGNOS.
- Once you are connected to the VPN, you can access the Banner Administrative Pages system at:
- You can access COGNOS reports at: https://gureports.georgetown.edu
What do I do if I can't log in?
- Contact the UIS Service Desk to open a trouble ticket. Email them at firstname.lastname@example.org or call them at (202) 687-4949.
When should I inactivate an account for staff and student employees?
- Anytime staff, faculty, or students go on a short-term leave of absence or complete their term of employment with the University, the Department/Program coordinator should inactivate (temporarily) or delete (permanently) the Banner / COGNOS/ SLATE accounts for the user. To do this, fill out a new Banner or Cognos or SLATE form and send to the Graduate School. In addition, send a copy of the new Banner / Cognos form to email@example.com so that all other accounts can be inactivated or deleted.
- Follow-up on these accounts is critical to system security, particularly as web access allows for anyone with an active account to access confidential information.
Inactivate a Banner / COGNOS account temporarily when:
- Faculty or staff go on sabbatical or medical leave.
- Students returning to work for a second year will be away for a semester or the summer.
Delete a Banner / COGNOS account permanently when:
- Staff and students terminate their employment with GU.
- Staff change positions or no longer use the systems in their jobs.
To inactivate, reactivate, or delete a Banner/Cognos account:
- Download and complete the appropriate form (listed above) and sign, complete, and send it to the Graduate School for processing (as detailed above).
- For reactivations, UIS will contact you directly with information about your Banner and/or Cognos account. The Graduate School will contact you about your Hobsons-AY account.